Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The second black eye...

Having had my share of black eyes in my history of hurting my self in sports (or just everyday life, I know that this injury in itself is unique. It is unique in that is speaks to your inability to protect yourself.
You see, if you break a bone, it is probably a result of you doing something. If you pull a muscle the same, but sporting a shiner is the result of an external object or force exerting itself upon you, and you not being able to do a dang thing about it.

Such as it was this season for the soaring eagles.

In the second week of the league, we played an always tough soaring eagles team and beat them by 2. Thus, their perfect season was stymied from that time on. Throughout the season I would often hear “we played them hard, but came up short” when referring to the other Red Team, at which point I would reply “well, we beat them”.

Last night on Field two at lynnwood high school, the #4 seed Nview Red squared off against the #1 seed Soaring Eagles and proceeded to give them another poke. It was another tough game, winning by two (again) despite a sometimes frustrating strike zone (seriously, when was the last time any one heard phil call out an ump?). By making the Soaring Eagles come up through the losers bracket, we gave them their second black eye.

At the end of the game, the pitcher (“Mick”) comes up to me and says “You beat us twice, but I don’t think you’re the better team”. I really could not say anything, I was looking at the two shiners.

Next game is at 7:15 at Lynnwood 2. I will be there early to see who we play. Since this is double elimination we need to lose twice to get second place.

Phil is a scratch for the next game because he does not want to drive from Chelan to Lynnwood for the championship game. WHATEVER!

2 comments:

Charley Lowery said...

Today we broke their nose and ego

Joker402 said...

i was gonna say kicked them in the nuts...